Pages

Saturday, December 22, 2012

(It's not about cereal)

I often find that my first sentence has nothing to do with the main point of my daily writing. It's really just a tool to get me started. A week ago, I was walking through the cereal aisle at the Albertsons down the street, doing my usual grocery shopping routine. I would pick up a box of one cereal that I liked, hold it in one hand as I used the other to push my cart along, browsing the rest of the cereals. Then, I would see another box that I liked, or perhaps one that I hadn't tried yet, and I would leave my cart for a moment, scurry back to where I had picked up the first box, place it just so, as if I had never picked it up in the first place, and scurry back to get my new flavor of the week. Sometimes I would do this two or three times before making a final decision, and even then, after I was home, I would think, "Did I make the right choice? Would the other have been better for me?"

No comments:

Post a Comment