Pages

Tuesday, December 18, 2012

"Remember: Withholding information makes you just as liable as he is. Are you sure that's your whole story, miss?"

The words resonated in my mind. It wasn't easy, playing at hints, and telling half-truths just to get what I wanted. He knew what I was onto, but he just didn't know how to be sure. He kept leading me along, and I kept backing off. This almost playful game of cat and mouse went on for several hours, as we sat across from each other in the dim light, each with a cup of what may have been the worst tasting coffee I've ever had. I couldn't just give it away though. That would be too easy, and if I did, he wouldn't believe me anyway. No one just comes out with the truth like that, not about something like this. No, this was the only way it could work, and I thought for sure I had him, and then just like that he was leaving. What a perfect end to a terrible day. First I got questioned about that crime I witnessed, and now this. Relationships are hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment