Pages

Sunday, July 10, 2011

Falling Behind

The salt air of the sea woke my senses, so as I approached you I couldn't help but notice the casual air you wore about you was just as put-on as the scarf around your neck. I couldn't blame you for either though, what with the cold days we've been having and all. I was determined to break through the barrier though, and so I opened with a nervous "Hey." I am such a charmer. You looked back at me with eyes that seemed to move back and forth from subdued interest to total indifference, which only added to my supreme confidence.
"It's late," you replied. My hope grew weary at such a frigid reply, but I pressed on.
"I know. What are you doing out here, anyway?" I asked, though we both knew the answer already.
"Look. I don't want to talk about it, okay? You know how hard this has been on me, and you haven't been making it any easier."
"Hey, I've tried. It's just that every time I open up my mouth, something stupid comes out. I know it isn't fair to you, so I came out here to tell you I'm done. I'll just leave you alone from now on."
For a very brief moment I saw a flicker of emotion. "Maybe that's your problem. Maybe you should try keeping your mouth shut."
Your words seemed to be telling me to go, but something in your tone told me to stay. I walked to the railing next to you, and took your advice. We stared out at the deep almost-black of the water, and I tried my best to ignore the sniffling I heard, because I knew that if I tried to comfort you, all of this would end. You would look at me, embarrassed and look away, and I would sheepishly retreat. I was thinking so hard about what I couldn't do that I didn't even notice that your hand had come to rest on mine until you whispered "Thank you," and started to walk away. I knew the morning would bring with it the same cold air as before, but at least tonight I could fall asleep knowing that we were friends, and I guess that will have to be enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment