Pages

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Open Mic

An open mic is a wonderful thing.
It gives nobodys like me a chance to feel like somebody
It gives patrons a free show
And most of all it gives aspiring talent a place to go where they know they'll be among friends
Even if they've never seen you before.
I've seen poets and comics
And felt like what I did was easy compared to that
And the musicians
Oh, the musicians!
I've listened to horrible renditions of amazing songs
And amazing renditions of horrible ones
I've tried intently to listen to the painfully awful singer pour out his heart
And as the crowd tries to drown him out with their conversation I just want to stand up and yell
"Shut up!"
Because I want to hear what he has to say
And because he took a chance and got on the stage
And to me that counts for something.
I've seen a man with a gnarly goatee get up and play the most beautiful violin I've ever heard
I've seen a man in a business suit break down a mean "Simple Man"
And I've seen a girl who's only sixteen years old blow my mind with her voice.
I've seen ukelele players play industrial music
And then bust out into pop songs.
I've laughed, and I've sang along
Sometimes both at the same time.
I've gotten on the stage myself and played a few tunes I wrote.
I've gotten long, boisterous applause
And silence
I've been encouraged with words
And used my words to encourage others
I've forgotten the words
Three times in a row
But later I remembered them and played the song as well as I ever have.
I've done all of this, and it never cost me anything
Except to listen
And to share.
And I hope wherever I go next
Wherever this journey takes me
That there will be a bar
With a mic
And an open mind
Because that's where I live
And that's where I love
And that's what makes all the rest of my week worthwhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment