Pages

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Ten Things I Know To Be True

I've been told that when you're writing
And you reach a loss for words
To write a list of things you know are true.

My list begins with simply this:
I know that love is real
Despite the evidence I have
From relationships that never last,
And a marriage that just fell apart
Before it had a chance to really get going,
I know that one day I'll either die happily in love
Or happy knowing I never gave up on it.

The second thing I know is that everyone has a talent.
Some people don't know what their talent is
And some have been cultivating and growing theirs for years.
Some people have put in the sweat
The blood
The tears
And some just pick it up without any effort at all
But no one is completely without any creative outlet.
Everyone can do something
Whether you draw
Or paint
Or write
Or dance
Or sing
Or play
Or listen to a friend
Or teach.
Maybe you're a dungeon master
Or maybe you can tell a joke.
Maybe you don't know what you can do
But whatever it is
Be proud that you're the one who can do it.

I also know that the internet is wonderful.
Sometimes it's scary
And sometimes it's gross
But if you took it away from me, I think I would be lost
Honestly, I don't know what people did without it.
They probably got a lot more sun.

I know that nachos were made for cheese,
And so was macaroni.
I know that counts for two
And this one makes six total.

I know that the best feeling in the world
Is the one I get when I hear someone else singing along to words I wrote
As if the words are actually meaningful to them.

I know wearing a shiny belt won't stop a car from running over me
And that there is no substitute for common sense
I know things the government hasn't figured out yet.

I know that I'm not always the best of friends
That there have been people in my life I've let down.
Maybe I didn't listen when you needed me
Or maybe I simply wasn't wround
Or worst of all, maybe you called me "friend"
And I didn't return the favor.

I know that the density of gold is 19.3 kilograms per square meter
I learned that in school
And for some reason it stuck.
And I thank every teacher I ever had, for all the bits of knowledge that stuck
Some were in school
Some were at home
Some were myfriends
Or my enemies
Or someone I watched a video of
Or heard on the radio
But all of them, whether they meant to or not
Have taught me more than I could ever have hoped to know
So the next time I think of ten things I know to be true
It will be just as easy
Because I know by then I will have had a hundred more teachers
Teaching me a thousand more things about this world.

No comments:

Post a Comment