Pages

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

The Apology

"Give me one reason," you said as you stood in the doorway,
arms folded as if they might break from your control at any moment.
At once a million thoughts rushed through my head,
But no words accompanied them to compose the apologetic symphony
With which I could still the fear apparent in both of our eyes, which screamed
"It's over!"
without either of us saying a word.
I tried desperately to conjure the magic words that would steer the fire
From anger to longing,
Hate to desire.
I knew there had to be something that would cause this to end well for us.
As I drew a breath and prepared to speak, I knew that this would do it.
I knew you would come back, and we could go back to how we were
Before,
Like we always do.
Three simple words would make it all better,
For now.
I opened my mouth, but the look on your face grew so hot
I swear it burned my tongue.
As I sat alone in confusion, replaying it all in my mind,
I realized my mistake.
The apology had disappeared when my mouth opened.
Three words caused you to storm out instead.
"I wasn't wrong."

Oops.

No comments:

Post a Comment