Pages

Thursday, June 30, 2011

The wind whipped at my coat as it blew across the lot,
Turning the corners up as if it were searching for a lost object,
Or an idea, that it had misplaced.
It blew, and I was reminded of the time we took a midnight stroll along the water's edge
Our bare feet leaving temporary footprints in the wet sand,
And the ocean, like an over-attentive maid, washed them away after only a few seconds.
I'm quite sure we talked about many things as we moved along,
Staring alternately at the giant resorts on one side,
The ocean on the other, which made the buildings seem insignificant,
And each other.
Mostly each other.
I'm sure we talked about many things,
But I only remember how striking you looked that night,
And the way your hand felt on my arm as you leaned in closer.
Sometimes, when the preacher talks about heaven I'm reminded of those days
And I think "That must be what it's going to be like."
I remember when you started laughing and attacked my legs with icy ocean water,
So I chased you down and when I caught you we tumbled over,
And both got soaked, as the waves made their foray onto the shore again.
As we laid there in each others' arms,
Time stopped,
And though I can't remember
(An unfortunate side effect of stopping time)
I'm sure we experienced a lifetime together,
In that one moment.

I remember a lot of things that never happened,
But that one is my favorite

No comments:

Post a Comment