Pages

Friday, October 6, 2017

"Did it ever occur to you that this isn't what I wanted?"

Honestly, it hadn't. She was everything I had ever dreamed of and, somewhere in my mind, I always just assumed that meant we were supposed to be together. Sure, it wasn't easy, but people will tell you that nothing good ever is. I'm still not convinced I believe them.

As I sat on the front porch, completely dumbfounded by her words, she left to get a glass of water. I wasn't angry. I wasn't even sad. "Shocked" would be a more appropriate term, but even that wouldn't really cover it. When you invest so much of yourself in a relationship, and then come to the complete realization that it was never meant to be, you can really only describe yourself as "okay." At least that's how it was for me. I always said I wanted what was best for both of us. It just turns out that this is it.

I got up just as she opened the door to check on me. We shared an awkward hug, and a couple of meaningless words about seeing each other soon, or having a good night; I honestly don't remember. And then I left.

No comments:

Post a Comment